Fix The Hazard Don’t Blame The Workers
Posted on August 1, 2019
Leave a Comment
Fix The Hazard Don’t Blame The Workers
Safety Reps Rights
Unite safety reps are a key part of providing better health and safety for Unite members at work.
Safety reps have specific rights enshrined in law, which enable them to:
• Inspect the workplace regularly.
• Investigate employee complaints concerning health and safety issues at work.
• Investigate accidents, dangerous occurrences and potential hazards.
• Represent workers on health, safety, and welfare matters to their employer.
• Inspect health and safety documents.
• Receive information from HSE Inspectors.
• Establish a joint union-management Safety Committee.
• Receive time off to fulfil these rights and receive training.
Employers are required to consult safety reps, especially about:
• Measures introduced at a workplace that may substantially affect health and safety.
• Arrangements for appointing health & safety competent persons and emergencies.
• Health & safety information required to be provided to employees.
• Health & safety training arrangements for the workforce, such as induction training.
• New technology introduced and planned, regarding consequences to health & safety.
Employers must provide safety reps with the resources to carry out their role. This should include:
• Room with desk and chairs at work, for carrying out interviews and meetings.
• Secure facilities for storing documents.
• Access to a telephone and other communication media used or permitted in the workplace
such as e-mail, intranet and internet.
• Access to printer and photocopier.
• Notice board.
Other facilities should include copies of relevant statutes, Regulations, Approved Codes of
Practice and HSE guidance, copies of safety journals, and legal and international standards
that are relevant to the workplace.
FIX THE HAZARD DON’T BLAME
What is the answer?
• Full recognition of TU safety reps and full involvement with safety management systems
• Robust risk assessment process that identifies and corrects workplace hazards and
• Recognition of the full range of hazardous conditions to address, including biological, chemical,
ergonomic, physical, psychological, work organisation and safety hazards
• Correct use of the hierarchy of controls to address hazards
• Accident/Incident/Near Miss investigation that looks for the root causes
• Workers rights to identify hazards without fear of retaliation
• Right to refuse to carry out unsafe work
• Full reporting and recording of all injuries, illnesses and near misses
Safety reps need to be involved in all decision-making processes around health and safety so that
they can bring their expertise to any discussions on what is needed to improve workplace health
and safety. It is important that workers and unions achieve the fundamental g
WORKERS AND THEIR REPS ARE THE SOLUTION TO WORKPLACE
HEALTH AND SAFETY CONCERNS,NOT THE PROBLEM!
Health and Safety
Everyone has the right to work in a healthy, safe environment.
Welcome to Unite national health & safety
Everyone has the right to work in a healthy, safe environment. It is a well-established fact that unionised workplaces with active safety reps are safer workplaces.
Unite safety reps have a range of functions which they can exercise at work. Full details can be found in safety representatives and safety committees, also known as the Brown Book. Download a copy of the Brown Book below.
What to do if you have a health & safety problem at work
Contact your local rep
Unite has around 10,000 safety reps who are supported by branches, regions and Unite national health & safety staff. Unite Safety reps deal with issues locally, supported by their senior workplace reps. If you have a health & safety question and cannot find the answer in the Unite health & safety guide, or from our health & safety resources, please contact your workplace safety rep or your regional office for advice.
The Unite national H&S service is delivered by Bud Hudspith and Rob Miguel.
You can email the health and safety unit here.
You can sign up to receive the health and safety bulletin here.
Get Active with Unite, on your Health & Safety in West Lothian Council
If you are a Unite member and wish to get more involved in Health & Safety with Unite please contact one of your local reps or contact your local Unite Organiser or Unite office
Not yet a member? Join Unite today!
If you are not et a member of Unite can you afford not to be? Health & Safety at work is everybody’s responsibility who is protecting you? Join Unite online today
Get Organised! Get Active! Get Protected! wish to get protected
Unite Contacts in West Lothian Council
Or contact one of the Unite reps (Details below)
West Lothian Council Local Unite contacts
Unite the Union Shop Stewards/ Workplace Reps
Whitehill Service Centre
Senior Steward: Pat Tedford
Mobile: 07787 102 636 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Davy Johnstone : Email : email@example.com
Davy Dowds : Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Donald Smail: Email : email@example.com
Andy Dowds: Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Bobby Lee: Email : Bobby.email@example.com
Unite the Union Workplace Reps
Rab Brown Unite Convenor: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tam Brown Unite Rep: Email: email@example.com
Jade Deans Unite Rep: Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Ryan Morcombe: Email email@example.com
Frank O Neil : Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact can be made through mobile phone app on android devices Unite@WLC