Tax refunds for the construction sector


You may be able to claim for…

  • Driving your own vehicle to work
  • Taking public transport to work
  • Washing your work uniform
  • Buying your own lunch
  • Having been made redundant
  • Having left a job in the last 4 years


Construction workers should not
be left in the dark about tax returns
CIS (Construction Industry Scheme) tax returns are
a fact of life for a lot of people in the building trade.
A mistake when filing a CIS tax return online can
mean paying far too much tax on your pay. That’s
why RIFT has a specialist team of experts to offer
CIS tax return help to Unite members.

Do I pay tax if I’m CIS?
Yes, you will pay tax “at source” (your tax is taken
off your wages before you get them), most likely at
the rate of 20 per cent of your income. However, this
doesn’t mean you are “employed”. You could still be
officially self-employed under CIS. The big
difference is that this means you’ll still have to do a
self-assessment tax return each year.

Not filing in
those tax returns each year brings three very
serious problems your way:
1,You’re not getting your tax-free Personal
2.You’re not getting any of the tax relief you’re
entitled to for your work expenses

3.HMRC’s going to come after you for failure to file
your tax return.
If you’re getting CIS statements and don’t
understand why, get in touch with RIFT straight

We can explain the system, make sure you
aren’t paying too much tax and keep you out of
trouble with HMRC.
Q/Do I have to pay my tax when I file my
self-assessment return?
A/No. As long as you get both done by the 31 January,
you’re in the clear. You’re almost always better off
getting your self-assessment paperwork in early
though. A lot of people wait until the last minute
before filing their returns. That puts massive stress
on HMRC, causing delays and overloaded helplines.

Q/What happens if I miss the 31 January

A/Leaving the taxman waiting is a very bad idea. The
trouble starts with a flat £100 fine for filing up to
three months late. Missing the payment deadline by
30 days costs you 5 per cent of the tax you owe.
After three months without filing a return, you’ll be
looking at £10 daily penalties totalling up to £900 –
and that’s not even the end of it. The penalties keep
stacking up, and your situation keeps getting worse.

Q/What do I do if I’ve already got fines?
A/ If you’ve got a genuine reason for missing a deadline,
the taxman might be prepared to lower or cancel your
penalties. Talk it through with RIFT. We’ve got a good
relationship with HMRC, and can often limit the
damage even if you’re already in trouble. Let us know
if you’re going to have problems paying your tax too.
We can often work out payment plans to keep you out
of danger.


RIFT are the UK’s leading tax experts for selfassessment and tax refunds. Call 01233 653974 or visit  for expert guidance, advice
and practical help. Quote your Unite membership
number to get your discounted CIS tax return fee.


Talk to RIFT about your tax refund today.


Scottish rep is Eric Mackenzie  E Mail

Mobile 07931 867 677

Facebook :

Twitter : @RIFTtaxreturns

IMG_0758 (6)



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: